Sunday, 22 December 2013

Three films

During the last year I’ve started to hang out with a bunch of lovely people who are initially the gang of friends of a good friend of mine. She got married last September and the stuff for her wedding was DIY. During  quite a few months all her crowd  gathered in my living room to make table decorations, the bridesmaids’ fascinators, her wedding bouquet, etc. Apart from her wedding we’ve had picnics, afternoon tea parties, dinner parties, outings, etc.That is how they’ve become more than just acquaintances. They all love films and most of the times they end up talking about their favorite characters, their favorite whatever from films they love. I get very curious about the topic and listen but sometimes I don’t get their point because I haven’t seen most of the films they mention. It’s important to highlight here, I have issues with screens: I hardly ever watch TV, I don’t go to the cinema, I never rent films or watch them at home or pay Netflix. Perhaps I’m missing a purpose for watching them or I have never bothered to watch something good enough to sit for some hours without doing anything else but watching.


So, just for the fun of learning something new, I asked each one of them to make a list of three films for me, having in mind that I’m quite ignorant about everything that has to do with cinema. I’ll watch the three movies during a month like in a special season. After watching each movie I’ll jot down whatever comes to my mind as a way of automatic writing. Then, I’ll gather the rough notes from the three movies to write a monthly entry in my blog. And that is how watching  will not be just watching but an excuse for writing.


Here are the movies I’ll watch each month in 2014:


JANUARY


I’ll start with these three films since they all agreed I should watch movies by studio Ghibli.


  • Kiki la hechicera (1989) by Hayao Miyazaki
  • EL viaje de Chihiro (2001) by Hayao Miyazaki
  • Mi vecino Totoro. (1988) by Hayao Miyazaki


FEBRUARY


  • Poetry (2010) by Lee Chang Dong
  • La grande bellezza (2013) by Paolo Sorrentino
  • Dolls (2002) by Takeshi Kitano



MARCH
  • American Beauty (1999) by Sam Mendes
  • El diario de Bridget Jones (2001) By Sharon Maguire
  • Flashdance (1983) by Adrian Lyne



APRIL
  • Fearless (1993) by Peter Weir
  • Heaven (2002) by Tom Tykwer
  • Persécution (2009) by Patrice Chéreau


MAY
  • The age of inocence (1993) by Martin Scorsese
  • Atonement (2007) by Joe Wright
  • A serious man (2009) by Cohen Brothers


JUNE
  • Let the right one in (2008) by Tomas Alfredson
  • In the mood for love (2000) by Kar Wai Wong
  • Blade Runner (1982) by Ridley Scott


JULY
  • Manhattan (1979) by Woody Allen
  • Blue velvet (1986) by David Lynch
  • Tideland (2005) by Terry Gilliam


AUGUST
  • Alien (1979) by Ridley Scott
  • Hunger (2008) by Steve Mcqueen
  • Colmillo (2009) by Giorgios Lanthimos


SEPTEMBER
  • Waltz With Bashir (2008) by  Ari Folman and Justin Edgar
  • To Rome with Love (2012) or Midnight in Paris (2011) by Woody Allen
  • Argo (2012) by Ben Affleck
OCTOBER
  • 500 Days of summer (2009) by Marc Webb
  • Little Miss sunshine (2006) by Jonathan DaytonValerie Faris
  • Habana Blues (2005) by Benito Zambrano

NOVEMBER
  • Inside Job (2010) by Charles Ferguson
  • Summer Wars (2009) by Mamoru Osoda
  • the city of lost children (1995) by Marc Caro & Jean Pierre Jeunet


DECEMBER 
  • Melancholia (2011) by Lars Von Trier
  • The Congress (2013) by Ari Folman
  • The Tree of life (2011) by Terrence Malick
January 2015
  • Rashomon, el bosque ensangrentado (1950) by Akira Kurosawa
  • La guerra de las galaxias(1977) by George Lucas
  • Computer Chess (2013) by Andrew Bujalski

February 2015
  • L.A. Confidential (1997) by Curtis Hanson
  • "The Man Who Would Be King" (1975) by John Huston
  • "Some Like It Hot" (1959) by Billy Wilder
March 2015
  • Faces (1968) by John Cassavettes
  • The night of the living dead (1968) by George Romero

  • "Stranger Than Paradise" (1984) by Jim Jarmusch



2 comments:

  1. 1. 500 Days of summer 2. Little Miss sunshine 3. Habana Blues. Good Luck with your task!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you very much for your suggestions! I´ll ad them up to my list!
      Happy new year!

      Delete